Have you ever known someone that you knew had so much more potential than they put fourth and how disappointed in them you become? Well, five years ago that was my brother. He lost his way like so many teens these days and he lost who he was. He became bitter and angry at the world and defiance became his biggest priority. He flunked out of high school and isolated himself from the people that cared the most about him. Then, God intervened. I can't recall a specific moment really, it was more like a gradual change, but it took so long to accept that he was changing, that by the time i realized it, he was a new person. God worked through him and in the process, worked through me as well. My heart became even more grateful to God and my love for Him only grew, as it did for my brother. He had found faith and through that faith he found hope. He went and got his GED and quit his job as 2nd Ass. Manager at Eckerd and began school at our local college. Five years later, he is graduating from Berry College in May. And just today, the reason I am writing this, the boy who thought he never could, got accepted into Emory seminary. I'm so proud of him and I admire him so much now which is so monumental compared to just a few years ago. His story is always reminds me that when I think all is lost and when it feels like the struggles just get worse and the burdens just get heavier, God will prevail. He will do great things through us, if we just allow Him to. I have no idea what God has planned for me, but then again neither did Moses or Noah-they just had faith and knew that God was working through them, just as he is my brother, and just as He is in me. So now my question is, have you ever known someone who had so much potential that when they finally discovered it, you realized they could inspire your own life, if not the world?
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. (Isaiah 43:1b-3a)
SGP Slideshow
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow that is amazing and truly inspirational. I really believe if we are given a crossroads, and we take the right path, we can totally make drastic changes in our lives.
ReplyDeleteYou give a perfect example of that.
Hey Rebecca
ReplyDeleteThis truly is such so inspiring. I lost my brother almost three years ago because he unfortunately drifted away the path that God wanted him to take and decided he was going to do things on his own. Big Mistake I say since God is such an awaesome God and should be praised.
Thank God everyday for bringing your brother back on track.. Some people are just not that fortunate.
Thanks for the lovely thoughts...
Alicia (http://aliciaturton.blogspot.com)